Hans van der Meer wrote:

Do I now understand correctly that I MUST use texfont first in order to work with fonts in ConTeXt? I did not realize that when going over to the new tetex setup. I guess the typescripts for the lm/cmr fonts are ready-made in the context distribution?

not for lm and cm, just if you want to use the other free fonts in whatever encoding

Is there somewhere a script to do this (somewhat painless) for the "regular" fonts in the teTeX distribution or should I generate just by hand for whatever font I need?

(2) about math typesetting

Although computer modern (lm fonts) now appear in text, there is something strange with math. Running the next example coming from the ConTeXt manual (page 103):
\starttext
{$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} math\crlf
{$\bf \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} boldmath BUT `sin' ISN'T, sqrt NEVER IS \crlf {$\bf\mf \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} boldmath NOW `sin' IS, sqrt NEVER IS \crlf
\stoptext
The second line doesn't show the "sin" in bold as contrasted with the special remark in the manual. I does show in bold with \mf however. Has the math behaviour changed meanwhile? Or does it point to still another flaw in my setup? The following fonts appear in the pdf (as seen in Adobe Reader): CMMI12, CMSY10, LMRoman12-Bold (and 9), LMRoman12-Regular (and 9).

this behaviour is ok; \bf switches the text font (using families) and that's just of of the 16 possible math fonts then; the problem with math and fonts is that (1) we don't have enough families and (2) using tricks to bypass that do not help because math fonts come into play at the second parsing of the math list, when tex knows what it's dealing with; by then only fam numbers are uses intermediate changing of font assignments to them has been lost (the last family assignment counts)

in comparison, the following LaTeX example has the right behaviour:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
{$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c$} math\hfill\break
{\boldmath$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c + \sin{}x$} boldmath\par
\end{document}

btw, you can use:

$\bfmath \sqrt{a2 + b2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$

a more massive change is:

%D \usetypescript [lucida] [texnansi]
%D
%D \definetypeface [boldmath] [rm] [serif]
%D   [lucida] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%D \definetypeface [boldmath] [tt] [mono]
%D   [lucida] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%D \definetypeface [boldmath] [ss] [sans]
%D   [lucida] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%D \definetypeface [boldmath] [mm] [boldmath]
%D   [lucida] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%D
%D \switchtobodyfont[lucida,10pt]
%D
%D \showmathtoken{Gamma} $\Gamma \Delta \alpha \delta \zeta$
%D
%D \switchtobodyfont[boldmath,10pt]