From:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Subject:     blackboard bold and calligraphic
    Date:     November 28, 2005 17:46:07 GMT+01:00
    To:       ntg-context@ntg.nl

BLACKBOARD

There is a problem with the Blackboard symbols, when used in regular and bold forms both.

In the Lucida fontset there is a regular series in lbma (or hlcra), and a bold series in font lbmad (or hlcda).
As I understand from the current code, switching from regular to bold should be accompanied by a switch from Blackboard to something like BlackboardBold in the command \bbd (from the sources I guess \bbd in font-ini.tex is the most basic macro here).
The problem is that \bbd is defined as:
\def\bbd {\mathortext{\fam\purefamily  {blackboard}}{\symbolicfont  {Blackboard}}}
Thus the font is hardcoded to regular Blackboard.

I have no idea what should be the best strategy to repair this.
As for now, the most general mechanism for switching to other/bold math fontfamilies I could find is using \bfmath (and friends).
The font needed is in one of the math font registers, of course, so something like {\ma CNRZ} instead of {\bbd CNRZ} will do for now. But this low level code makes the TeX-source explicitely dependant on the font, because for example in the AMS-series these characters are found in msmb then needing {\mb CNRZ}.

Is there some generic solution here?

CALLIGRAPHIC

There is a similar problem with $\cal ...$
It is defined as
\def\cal {\mathortext{\fam\purefamily{calligraphic}}{\symbolicfont{Calligraphic}}}

I definded a font synonym "Calligraphic" but ConTeXt does not seem to use it in math mode. The calligraphic symbols appear to be taken from the sy (symbol) math family instead of the Calligraphic font. It is a problem, because in the MathTimes fonts the calligraphic letters are in another font (mtms and its bold companion). Typesetting
${\cal XYZ}\hbox{\cal XYZ}$
gives the wrong characters (coming from the symbol font) in the first XYZ, the correct letters in the second.

How can this be solved?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

yours sincerely,