Henk Koster wrote:

As a follow-up to my earlier message...

I don't understand why ConTeXt cannot use the LB .afm/.pfb/.tfm files that
are already present (for the texnansi encoding) in my LaTeX setup. Why
does texfont need to duplicate all these files? Does ConTeXt not use the
directory path search of teTeX?
we are using lb fonts for many year snow, and i'm not going to change my setups -)

also, in the past texnansi metrics were not shipped consistently with tex distributions; i've been bitten by this a few times

keep in mind that most of those metrics originate in the latex world, so when something changes, the authors probably also patch the latex part of it; i'm out of that loop so i want to play safe;

It seems to me that, in my case, texfonts only needs to generate files
that are peculiar to ConTeXt, like "texnansi-yandy-lucida.tex and
that' sjust a text file

.map", and further use the .afm, .pfb and .tfm files that are already
indeed we have such map files because

(1) we needed them
(2) we want non conflicting specs
(3) we only want to load what is needed (older pdftex versions are slow on big files) (4) in future releaes the map files will go away, and we will use mapline specs at runtime) (5) in case you wonder about updmap: it was not present when texfont came around, and is limited in its options (6) i want context to be able to work with the tons of commercial fonts out there (tex distributions only support a neglectable fraction of commercial fonts)

as it happens, lucida is known to tex people and therefore has support, but that's not true for many other fonts

present -- is there a way to do that?
sure, just map those long names to the ones you want, so, make a list of mappings

  grep berry type-*.tex

will show you how. We can make a [berry][lucida][texnansi] typescript which can be used for those who want (in that case you also need to provide a proper map file for only the lucida fonts)

so .. no problem in adding that support, but others have to do the work -)