Adam Lindsay wrote:
Taco Hoekwater wrote:

I can't get the example to compile. Whatever I do, context insists
on creating SerifRegular.tfm through mktextfm (sigh). I'm too lazy
to figure out what is going on right now, so can someone create a
full minimal example, please? I'd like to check this with all
tracing on, because it hints are a problem deeper down somewhere.

I hope you're caught up with your fonts. Variants aren't defined with many, but they are here:

Ok, got it. At first, I completely misunderstood the problem (but now I understand). I believe removing the space is better than forcing ugly
input, in this case.

I generally dislike auto-removed spaces, but since that happens often
anyway (esp after ]'s), it will not be a big surprise to anybody.

Cheers,
Taco