Le Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:36:55 +0100, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :

> olivier Turlier wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>> Starting to try installing correctly tetex3 on ubuntu, I wanted to ask
>> tons of questions. While formatting this mail, I've succeed in
>> installing tetex3. Maybe what follows can be worth fore somebody more
>> noooobie than me (is that possible?), or for a pre-beginner doc.
>>
>> Following http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation
>> and beginning of http://tug.org/teTeX/tetex-src/QuickInstall, i've :
>>
>>      dwld     * tetex-src.tar.gz & tetex-texmf.tar.gz
>>      sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
>>      sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>>
>> SHIT HAPPENS HERE : it's like i'm missing some basic commands,
>> because if I type what next, term conplains : gzip -dc
>> tetex-texmf.tar.gz \| (umask 0; cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist;
>> tar xvf -)
>
> Can you try to discover what command is missing? (That is interesting
> information for Thomas Esser as well)
>
> Cheers, Taco

The command # gzip -dc tetex-texmf.tar.gz \| (umask 0; cd
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist;tar xvf -)

        was impossible : bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I've tried , as a blind experiment : remove parenthesis, umask 022,
remove \, but still same kind of syntax error.

Will try to add this experience to ubuntu section, I've done the same
install @t home, everything was fine till to the end of the tetex3
installation page. I was only obliged to install twice cont-tmf.zip,
because I was not seing the line :  used engineformatpath :
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-config/web2c/pdfetex/ (notice difference of
paths from wiki and mine)
echo $PATH
My only remaining pb is adding *tex* executables to the path. I've tried
several ways with no success, and emacs nor scite are tex aware :
         $echo $SHELL : /bin/bash
so :    $vim .bash_profile and add :
PATH=/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:$PATH; export PATH
 on top of the file + reboot

        texlive 2005 doc method :
        $touch .profile
        $ echo "export PATH=/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:$PATH" >>
        .profile
        $source .profile

        redone the same for .bash_profile

will try to do it as root. I can only compile in a terminal, if I've typed
PATH=/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:$PATH; export PATH before in
the same session. What a pity !

Thanks a lot, Taco, for all your good info

--
olivier TURLIER