On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 10:49:20AM +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Ahoi!
>
> One decorative font that I use contains some additional (swashed
> etc.) characters.
> At the moment I access them like this:
>
> \def\DelitschC#1{\getglyph{\defaultencoding-raw-delitschantiqua}
> {\char#1}}
> \definetextmodediscretionary A {\DelitschC{197}}
>
> So I get the alternative A as |A|, and that's enough for me.
> But in this way |A| always takes this character from the same font.
>
> How could I solve this more generally, two cases:
> 1. if several fonts use the same "expert" encoding
> 2. if I change the font, I'd like to get a simple A instead of |A|
>
> At the moment I need (2.), because I'd like to use something like
> \chapter{|A|nfang};
> that's ok with my definition of chapter style=\hw (Delitsch font
> being defined as handwriting), but not in the ToC (rm font).
>
> Further (don't know how different), how could I define "take this
> special character always at the end/beginning of a word" or the like,
> e.g. how could I enable the different 's' of gothic fonts?

Can't you define this behavior with ligatures?

> Another one: How can I define additional ligatures, e.g. if my font
> provides a "Qu" or some other unusual ligature?

You can add ligature specifications to an enc file, see e.g.
cork.enc. For afm2pl, you can also specify ligatures in a separate
lig file. But I don't know how to use such custom enc or lig files
in the context of the texfont utility.

--
Siep Kroonenberg