Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Sorry for answering that late.

The correct way would be to define swiss as a language, because
then you can put a suitable redefinition inside the language
specifics, but the following hack will work as well and is a lot
faster to implement (please don't tell anyone I proposed this):

  \enableregime[il1]
  \let\normalssharp\ssharp
  \def\ssharp{\doifmodeelse{swiss}{ss}{\normalssharp}}

Thank you, that works and is just the right solution for my problem.

Mojca's proposal:

\startmode[swiss]
\definecharacter ssharp {ss}
\stopmode

unfortunately doesn't work, at least not with utf regime and ec encoding.

\startmode[*de]

languages have system modes (star prefix in order to prevent clashes with user modes)