Hi Hans and Mojca,

Thanks for the quick replies.

On 18 Jan 2006, at 15:22, Hans Hagen wrote:

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

You don't need to put silly \uchar{}{} definitions in the text, I'm

indeed, uchar is not for this purpose and has special meaning in cjk (mapping to special fonts) and xetex situations (mapping to unicode)

Actually, I thought it was a good solution. Let me explain my current project.

I am typesetting a Festschrift including subjects on Indo-European (Sanskrit, Hittite, Old Greek, etc.), Slavic, Sino-Tibetan, and Japanese made up from 65 xml-files with decimal character entities. All the glyphs needed for these articles (save some silly ones like e with hungarian umlaut, m with subdot) are included in a font (Palatino Linostar) which was developed to accompany an etymological database (http://starling.rinet.ru/main.html) project devoted to proving or disproving the nostratic theory (all languages in the world originate from one source). The font was developed over the years and is no longer fully unicode-compliant.

So my solution was to map the cmap hexadecimal values via the decimal entities to the \uchar command in a separate configuration file.

For example:

\defineXMLentity[257]{\uchar{1}{1}} % amacron % LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH MACRON % 0x0101

I need about 2546 of them for all the special glyphs.

This solution works fine, except the fact that I am unable to typeset the glyphs in bold and italic.

Maybe this solution is a bit cumbersome. I am open for better solutions.