On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 02:03:42PM +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2006-01-22 um 12:25 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:
>
> Did you read the thread "font encodings (glyph lossed..."?
> As you see, we have some problems with TrueType fonts.
> My font package from this morning is better than the old one, but
> still lacks at least the 'dcroat' letter.
>
> But your problem is another kind.
> I'd suggest to start over and use the latest Gentium distribution
> (1.02), but so far:

Now, that is what I am doing.

> What Gentium files do you have in your fonts tree? Which vendor/
> collection names did you use? (sil/gentium?)
> - AFMs (not needed)
> - TTFs (texmf/fonts/truetype/sil/gentium/*.ttf)
> - TFMs (texmf/fonts/tfm/sil/gentium/*.tfm)
> - MAPs (texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-sil-gentium.map)

I have all the files, and again, I tried to do the wiki's
suggestions. Now, whenever I compile the test file, I get an error in
Acrobat saying "Cannot find font in Resources, using Helvetica
instead".

> Did you rename all files to lowercase (and without spaces)? ConTeXt
> sometimes has problems if file names use uppercase letters.

I have done this, and I believe that this helped.

> There should be ec-genr101.tfm and .ttf in your case, that's what TeX
> is looking for.

Yes, I have the 102 ones.

> If the TFM is found, you'll run in the next problem: Probably in
> the .map file there's '.pfb' instead of '.ttf'

No, that seems all right.

> I always need to run texhash with root permissions ('sudo texhash'),
> otherwise the database cannot be written.

I also run it with root permission.

Thanks for your patient responses. If you think you can suggest
anything further, please do so; though I am on the verge of giving
up...

BTW, it might help if you know that I am using tetex-3.0 on Debian
GNU/Linux.

Thanks again.

Kumar
--