Thanks, that worked. But it leads to my next question, I am afraid.

When I define:
        \definecolor [brightred][r=0.7, g=.1, b=.1]
then I can use this in \startcolor[brightred]...\stopcolor
according to \meaning brightred being \protected macro \switchtocolor
[brightred]

Now I am fond of symbolic names and therefore also defined:
                \definecolor [FrameColor][brightred]
Thus being able to use FrameColor as \MPcolor{FrameColor} in MetaFun.
(\meaning says \MPcolor{FrameColor} is \scaledMPcolor 1Framecolor,
\FrameColor being undefined)

I thought to use \MPcolor{FrameColor} also in
        \startcolor[\MPcolor{FrameColor}]...\stopcolor
or      \startcolor[FrameColor]...\stopcolor
but neither of these worked, nor did
{\switchtocolor[FrameColor]...}\crlf
{\switchtocolor[\MPcolor{FrameColor}]...}\crlf

How can I use FrameColor here to? Without defining extra macros
around FrameColor, I hope.