On 2/2/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> I use (g)vim to edit both context and latex files. Unfortunately, both
> of them usually have *.tex extension. This mean that detecting
> filetype from extension is not possible, so one should look into the
> contents of the file to see if it a context file or not.
>
> I am planning to submit a ftdetect for context to vim. Right now, I
> check if the first six lines of the file contain any of
> '\\start\|\\enablemode\|\\unprotect\|\\setvariables\|\\module\|\\usemodule'
> and if so, set the filetype to context, otherwise it is set to tex
> (that loads latex plugins).
>
> This works for my context writing style. I would like to know about
> other people's preference.
>
> 1. Do you write some keyword unique to context in the first few lines
> of the file. Should I also check the last few line lines.

\enableregime, \setupoutput

Is \setup too general (will it recognize any LaTeX document)?

I don't know how slow/fast the detection is since I only use short
files, but if you check the last few lines, \stoptext (together with
its international alternatives) isn't a bad idea.

Also, if you check the last few lines: emacs users usually put some
lines of code at the end to mark the document as being written in
ConTeXt.

> 2. Are there any other keywords that you will like to include.

A keyword like
set tex_preferred_dialect=latex/context :)

and then

if tex_preferred_dialect == context
    if the first few lines contain \documentclass or \documentstyle,
    declare it latex, otherwise ConTeXt
else
   [your script]:
   if the first line contains % tex= or any keywords that Hans sent
   or if the first six lines contain the keywords you suggested
(together with international alternatives)

(don't take that suggestion too seriously)

Mojca