frantisek holop wrote:

>hi there,
>
>my second question, is more like asking for pointers...
>
>where can i read more about fmtutil, and how come that
>context does not use it when (i assume) pdftex does?

Fmtutil is used to generate the necessary format files to run tex. -
Context provides this within texexec. So generating the formats
becomes simply  texexec --make en metafun mptopdf  i.e. a list of
requested formats.
even shorter this is texexec --make all..  This will however generate
formats which you will never use. But nowadays, where diskspace is no
issue :-)

Kind regards

Willi