Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Aaarghh ... attachments here ...

texexec --env=xml.ctex --pdf xml.xml

with

\defineXMLargument  [tableofcontents] {\completecontent[criterium=text]}
\defineXMLargument  [listoffigures]
{\completelistoffigures[criterium=text]}
\defineXMLargument  [listoftables]
{\completelistoftables[criterium=text]}

(by default tocs are local (i.e. if you ask for one in a chapter, you
get one with sections)

btw, if you use newtexexec, you can make a

xml.ctx file that says:

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>

<ctx:job>
    <ctx:message>whatever you like</ctx:message>
    <ctx:preprocess/>
    <ctx:process>
        <ctx:resources>
            <ctx:environment>xml.ctex</ctx:environment>
        </ctx:resources>
    </ctx:process>
    <ctx:postprocess/>
</ctx:job>