Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>>Hans Hagen wrote:

>>>\clip[nx=10,ny=20,x=2,y=4]{}
>>>
>>>and alike (grep for clip)
>>>
>>>Hans
>>>

>>Peter was asking for something different, I believe.
>>
>>\clip do the thing well but you have to measure a bb somewhere, e.g. in
>>GhostView. Since \externalfigure have to know bb then an option 'clip'
>>can do that without manual measuring. There might be even en extension:
>>apart from 'clip' option there could also be 'bb=10 20 100 200' option
>>for overwritting original boundingbox. Clipping a figures would be a bit
>>more strightforward.
>>

> i dunno what the intended effect is but here's an example
>
> \starttext
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{test}
> draw fullcircle scaled 4cm withpen pencircle scaled 1cm ;
> setbounds currentpicture to boundingbox fullcircle scaled 4cm ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
>
> \ruledhbox{\useMPgraphic{test}}
>
> \vskip3cm
>
> \ruledhbox{\clip{\useMPgraphic{test}}}
>
> \stoptext

I see, I did not realize such simple usage of \clip (without options).
That do exactly what was thinking about. One character of typing
difference between:

   \clip{\externalfigure{test}}

and

   \externalfigure[clip]{test}

is not crutial:) So sorry for noise.

But as far as I know, \clip works only with left|top,width|height
params. Could right|bottom be added (assuming at least one from
left-width-right and top-height-bottom is missing - if not width|height
is ignored)? Or there is again some secret that I missed?

Vit