Fascinating, but... The slidenumber needs to be reset according to
the criterion whether we're starting an odd or an even section.

If anybody's wondering why I want such a bizarre setup: this is  the
manuscript of my course for the entire term. Every class consists of
two lectures = two sections in my manuscript, but because the
lectures are back-to-back, I have one pdf presentation for both and
want the marks for the slides in my manuscript numbered consecutively
for section 1+2, then reset and numbered for 3+4 etc. Btw, I
laboriously wrote my own macro to get nice marks for the slides in my
manuscripts and  then I discovered the \definelabel command...

Best

Thomas