Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> \starttext
> $\k T$
> \stoptext
>
> The above test file, to my surprise, compiled fine.  [In Plain TeX I
> usually define \k as \kappa, but I had forgotten to carry over that
> definition.]  The pdf output showed a T with little hook as a subscript.
>
> I can redefine \k as \kappa, but that might overwrite an important
> definition.  However, I can't figure out where \k is defined.

enco-ini.tex:
   \definecommand k {\buildtextogonek}
(but i knew what to look for)

It is hard to come up with a clean solution to the problem
(it soon be becmes confusing when commands polymorph on you),
but this is a more or less sane way to get both:

   \unexpanded\def\k{\mathortext\kappa{\dohandleaccent{k}}}

Cheers, Taco