On Thu, 4 May 2006, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I am having a simple problem I can't solve by reading the manuals.
>
> I want to quote a fragment of a book which contains amongst others a
> discussion (Plato's Protagoras to be precise). Normally, my book has no
> whitespace between paragraphs and small indentation, but here I want a
> small amount of whitespace between paragraphs and also narrower. I'd like
> to setup some form of quotation paragraph style to use. I started out with
> \startquotation but I do not want quotes, so now I use startnarrower, but
> what I need is a paragraph style. Maybe another font (1pt smaller) is nice
> too. And noindenting while the rest of the book uses indenting.
>
> What I would like to do is something like
>
> \startBookQuote
> \stopBookQuote
>
> and on the inside I get a small whitespace between paragraphs, no
> indentation, a smaller font and a narrower textwidth.
>
> My last try was:
>
> \defineparagraphs[BookQuote][n=1,before={\indenting[never]\whitespace\startnarrower},after={\indenting[yes]\nowhitespace\stopnarrower}]

\startstop narrower form a group, so \indenting[yes] and \nowhitespace
have no effect. You should change the order of those with stopnarrow.

> in my environment file, but that gave me page breaks as soon as
> \startBookQuote was given and the quotes themselves do not receive page
> breaks, hence a quote more than one page (I have a few) ends up being a
> column of one page but just running from the page.
>
> So, it seems \defineparagraphs is out, because I do not get page breaks
> inside the quote. But what should I do?

Does this work?

\definestartstop
   [BookQuote]
   [before={\startnarrower\whitespace\setupindenting[no]\tfx},
    after={\stopnarrower}]

I am using \tfx for a smaller font, but you can define your own for
getting something 1pt smaller.

Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008