On 5/27/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Otared Kavian wrote:
> >
> > As told above, ConTeXt is called from within TeXShop, but doing
> > texexec eth-hans-2.tex --pdf
> > in a Terminal window gives the same result (I apologize for not being
> > still up dto date with texmfstart... :-) )
> >
> > I wanted to let you know that I am gathering a number of issues or
> > ConTeXt things which do not work properly when ConTeXt is used
> > together with XeTeX. Should I send them directly to you and Taco or
> > post each problem separately on the list?
> >

> ok, what you see happen in 'non xetex context' is ok,
>
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
>
> will fail because pdftex is *not* utf and only sees 8 bit characters, so
> you can only set the catcodes 0-255

That's true for pdftex, but XeTeX should handle them OK (assuming that
you're using the proper encoding in your file). If you change ^^f0 to
^^f1 or whatever other number, it works without any problems. It's
just ^^f0 that's causing problems for some weird reason. I don't know
if this is XeTeX or ConTeX bug (or the wrong usage perhaps, but it was
Jonathat who sent this example, only for other letters).

> \catcode `<number>=<number>
>
> and in your case `Ã will become a number ° but ° not
>
> \bgroup
> \let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
> \catcodeð=\active \defð{^^F0}
> \egroup
>
> could work (watch out: no `) but again, \catcode<16 bit number> is not
> accepted by regular 8 bit tex

Hans, in what encoding are you sending/using this? Seems like UTF-8
file opened as if it was "latin1" (might be the same).

You should use utf-8-encoded "eth" literally, not two different character
   \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^f0}  ð

Mojca