From: "Love, Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 1, 2006 10:14:37 AM PDT
To: "Arnold, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Math 120 textbook for Fall 2006

Hi Dave:

A student with a reading disability has requested an alternate version of the Math 120 textbook for Fall 2006. Jean Lawry told me that the Math faculty is creating the book, to give to students on a CD. I think that is just great! My task is to put that into a format that the student can listen to. Assuming that your CD doesn’t have all the info in audio files, one strategy is that I can scan the print version (Jean said there will be one), and extract the text. The problem—as with all Math books to this point—is that the scanning software doesn’t do math. Tracey ordered the site license for MathType, so I could re-create the math line by line. Much easier for me would be if the equations are already in a format that can be converted to be read by MathPlayer, such as MathML. One option is a flavor of .tex that Scientific Notebook can handle, that can be exported as .XHTML. Please give me a heads-up on how you’re making the book, so I can plan ahead.

Thanks,

Ken Love

High Tech Center

X4557