On Jun 1, 2006, at 3:16 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 6/1/06, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, that was a very interesting read! Personally, if it weren't
>>> for the really bad tex installation, I would favor gentoo over most
>>> other linux distros I have tried (the new SUSE 10.1 is a disaster,
>>>
>> hm, i could install 10.1 ok here (but i never take tex's from linux
>> distributions; one can always download tex live, so i actually wonder
>> why there are derived tex distributions in linxu anyway)

Well, just to clarify my somewhat sweeping remark: the troubles I had
with TeX on SUSE 10.1 were relatively trivial (there was this old
cont-usr.tex  that prevented format generation), and in many
respects, I like it quite a lot. It's just that for a long time,
every single beta had difficulties with online updates and online
installation sources, and this has not been solved for the final
release, it has even become somewhat worse. There's quite a lot of
whining on the mailing lists and in the forums, and even some of the
developers call this is an "intermediate release," which, I guess, is
marketing speech for "banana ware..."

Good night!

Thomas