On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
>> want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
>> font.
>>
> one can make symbols (see symb-*.tex), which is probably the best
> way to go here; otherwise peek into math-*.tex files to see how math
> symbols can be defined. (the tricky part is that normally math
> script fonts have more chars so overloading one by a RS fotn may
> give problems)

This is an old mail. I could not figure out how to do this properly in
CONTEXT. The closest that I managed was using scrload.tex from rsfs
bundle, which uses

%%------- scrload.tex----------------------------
\font\tenscr=rsfs10 % scaled \magstep1
\font\sevenscr=rsfs7 % scaled \magstep1
\font\fivescr=rsfs5 % scaled \magstep1
\skewchar\tenscr='177 \skewchar\sevenscr='177 \skewchar\fivescr='177
\newfam\scrfam \textfont\scrfam=\tenscr \scriptfont\scrfam=\sevenscr
\scriptscriptfont\scrfam=\fivescr
\def\scr{\fam\scrfam}
%% ------------------------------------------

using this definition I get a command \scr which is same as \cal but
uses ralph smith formal script font. The trouble is that the fonts are
not scaled to document font size.

Mojca's suggestion of using
\def\mathrsfs#1{\text{\definedfont[RalfSmithFormalScript]#1}}

and using $\mathrsfs{A}$ works, but does not give correct spacing for
superscipts. Compare $\mathrsfs{A}^T$ with ${\scr A}^T.

What is the context way of doing the same as scrload.tex. Looking at
math-*.tex and font-ini.tex, I tried

\def\scr{\mathortext{\fam\purefamily{ralphscript}}{\symbolicfont{RalphScript}}}

\definefontsynonym [RalphScript][Serif]

\def\ralphscript#1{\mathortext\domathtext\donothing{\scr #1}}

\definefamilysynonym [default] [ralphscript] [rsfs]

I do not understand this, and no wonder this does not work. What am I
missing.

Aditya