On 6/26/06, John R. Culleton wrote:
> I downloaded the justtex.zip and the context-linux.zip files
> into a work directory /usr/local/cont and unzipped them. Then I
> cd to the tex directory under that work directory. I made the
> the setuptex file executable and executed it with no apparent
> effect.

You have to execute
   . setuptex
ie. [dot] setuptex in that specific folder and than tex will work in
that shell only.

I've put something equivalent to
    cd /usr/local/cont/tex
    . setuptex
    cd
into my .bashrc. I'm not sure that that's the proper and most elegant
solution, but it was the only one that I found to be working. (An
alternative would surely be a "smart copy" of contents of setuptex to
.bashrc.)

> Then I changed the path to point to
> /usr/local/cont/tex/texmf-linux/bin and ran mktexlsr.

If setuptex was executed properly, it should already be in your PATH.
If not, other environmental variables needed to run TeX properly are
not set either, so the formats will not be copied where they were
supposed to be.

> It followed
> the new path. I ran texexec --make --alone and it seemed to be
> successful. Ran mktexlsr again. Then I ran a test program in
> another directory. It could not find cont-en.fmt. In fact this
> file or anything similar to this file does not exist in this
> tree, although it existed in my previous tetex tree and exists in
> my texlive tree.
>
> How do I create and/or download this file?

You can't download it. texexec --make --all (or --make --alone, it
doesn't really matter I guess) should create it and copy it to the
proper destination. If it didn't, ConTeXt won't work properly either
since the rest of the needed environmental variables are not set
properly.

Mojca