\setuplabeltext[question=]
\setuplabeltext[answer=]

\defineenumeration
[questions]
[location=serried,
   text=\blank]
\setupenumerations
[questions]
[before={\page[yes]\unnumberedsubsection{Exercises}\startcolumns[n=2]},
   after=\stopcolumns,
   number=no]

\defineenumeration
[answers]
[location=serried,
   text=\blank]

\setupenumerations
[answers]
[before={\unnumberedsubsection{Answers}\startcolumns[n=2]},
   after=\stopcolumns,
   number=no]

\def\placeanswers{%
   \startanswers
   \doifmodeelse{short}
    {\selectblocks[shortanswer][criterium=section]}
    {\selectblocks[longanswer][criterium=section]}
   \stopanswers}

\defineenumeration
[question]
[location=inleft,
   text=\labeltext{question},
   headcolor=heavygreen]

\setupenumerations
[question]
[location=inleft,
   headcolor=heavygreen,
   stopper=.,
   way=bysection,
   sectionnumber=no]

\defineenumeration
[subquestion]
[location=hanging,
   headcolor=heavygreen,
   conversion=characters]

\setupenumerations
[subquestion]
[stopper=.]

\defineenumeration
[answer]
[location=inleft,
   text=\labeltext{answer},
   headcolor=heavygreen]

\setupenumerations
   [answer]
   [location=inleft,
    headcolor=heavygreen,
    stopper=.,
    way=bysection,
    sectionnumber=no]

\defineenumeration
[subanswer]
[location=hanging,
   headcolor=heavygreen,
   conversion=characters]

\setupenumerations
[subanswer]
[stopper=.]

\defineblock[question,shortanswer,longanswer]
\hideblocks[shortanswer,longanswer]

Now back in business.

Although what is still needed here is a way of "hiding" subanswers.
Suggestions are welcome.