Hi!

Pardon me for requesting more support from pragma-ade prior to ever using the
mailing list for general support questions. Maybe I should post this one
directly to Hans but others might be interested in this issue as well.

Despite my little but growing knowledge of Context I am currently evaluating
its suitability for document building in our company (our workflow is currently
Latex-based). A prime aspect of our company's work is to follow well-defined
processes, and as part of that, we have to be able to refer to specific
versions of applications that are used in the development of our projects. When
used, this would apply to Context as well.

Obviously, downloading from pragma-ade gives version numbers only on the entry
pages like http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download-1.htm next to the links to the
files, but the package files themselves like
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip don't have versioned
names (not mentioning that Context and its modules actually _do_ report version
numbers as dates upon use).

Is there a strong motivation against having versioned package file names,
possibly with some months/years of history? Has this support feature ever been
considered by pragma-ade or asked for by their (non-)paying customers? Or is
this archive available but I am unable to find it? ;)

Just an example:

Instead of
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip

use a browseable directory like http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/archive/
containint files like
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/archive/cont-tmf-20060518.zip
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/archive/cont-tmf-20060601.zip
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/archive/cont-tmf-20060629.zip

and possibly set /context/current/cont-tmf.zip as an internal file system link
to the latest file in /context/archive/ for those interested only in the latest
version. The proposed method could be applied to all other download files as
well.

That way and as long as the archive files are available, a precise version of
Context could be fetched from pragma-ade's server without maintaining a local
versioned archive of cont.tmf.zip etc. Referral to a specific version of
Context would be a lot easier, and documenting the tools used for a project
would be a lot simpler. A common understanding of a Context version, reflected
in its package file name, would reduce the effort of those responsible for
local version control and install package maintenance.

Thanks,
- Matthias