Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Therefore I conclude to the following: on inspecting the next
> character with "\doifnextcharelse[%" the character which is compared
> is the &.

It is more technically correct to say that the \doifnextcharelse
compares the first token of the expansion of '&' with the second
token of the expansion of '&'. Down this road awaits madness.

In general, you can not intermix optional arguments and active
characters, you need to have at least one non-active non-space
token to break off the search in a reliable manner.

Simply adding a \relax statement sounds like the simplest solution.

> Being not equal to [ it is given back but -- if I remember
> well -- there can be a catcode problem. I guess & still functions as
> separator in the \halign template but no longer functions as a macro,
> as it should in my code.
>
> There might be no solution for this within TeX's limitations. But
> maybe you can confirm cq. deny that from your knowledge of TeX (which
> certainly is greater than mine).

There is a chance that there is a hackish way around this
limitiation for some very specific cases, but i cannot
tell without the actual code you use.

Taco