Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Ralf Schmitt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to split a large document for printing to multiple volumes/books.
>>> The first volume should contain a table of contents (but no index/list
>>> of figures), the second volume should have consecutive pagenumbers, and
>>> the last volume should contain an index and the list of figures of all
>>> books. Is this possible with context?
>>>
>> My approach would be to build the 'big one', then use something like
>>
>>    % this is split-toc.tex
>>    \starttext
>>    \insertpages[complete.pdf][1,3]
>>    \stoptext
>>
>> to lift bits and pieces into separate files. Is something like that
>> feasible?
>>
> there is also
>
> texexec --pdfselect --selection=1:10 yourfile.pdf --result=anotherfile

That would work. The problem I have is that I don't know where to split
the pdf file (but I know where to split the context file).

The input file looks like
\input art1
\input art2
\input art_n
\page[YES]
% split book here
\input art_n+1

I just don't know how to get the pagenumber in the pdf file after the
\page[YES] command.  If there was a way to have the actual pagenumber
printed to some log file (or stdout), I already would be happy.
Sorry if I haven't been clear in my previous post.

BTW - if you don't mind some commercial advertising - we're using
context to generate books from wikipedia articles in our new service
pediapress (http://pediapress.com). We currently don't have a 'credits'
page, but Hans certainly belongs there. Thanks for your great work and
support on the mailing list.

- Ralf