On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
Sorry, I haven't followed this thread closely (so I have no idea if this
has already been solved), but I had a similar symptom a while ago. It
turned out that it was something with the default EC.enc that ships with
tetex. Can you try to do the conversion again, this time using lm-ec.enc
instead of EC.enc? I can send a longer explanation if that's of
interest, but I found that it solved the problem in my case.

Thanks for that hint. There is no file lm-ec.enc in my installation, but ec-var-lm.enc. If I add a --variant=var-lm to the parameters for texfont (or alternatively create a symbolic link ec.ec -> ec-var-lm.enc in my private texmf tree), then the ligatures work correctly! Unfortunately, umlauts don't work anymore, both typed directly (ä, ö, ü. ß, ...) and with the TeX commands ("a, "o, "u, "s, ...). Did you have problems with umlauts as well using lm-ec.enc? Maybe I should try cork.enc (--encoding=cork) instead? The main reason I want to install the font with ec encoding is that I also want to use it under LaTeX with the T1 encoding.

Andreas