Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>>how does -afmpl perform? i always suspected afm2tfm not to take non
>>>existing ligs into account
>>
>>Just as bad (here, at least). I'll get back to you about this
>>tomorrow,
>>it is too late for me to do serious work.
>>

> I've experimented with afm2pl, and as I wrote in an earlier mail: the
> beginning of EC.enc with its additional LIGKERN instructions confuses
> it so it will not include default ligatures.

As it turns out, this is the same for afm2tfm. And to make matters
even more confusing, I had the following problem: At one point,
I had copied EC.enc to the current directory and fixed it. However,
it still didn't work, because:

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] new]$ ls *.enc
   EC.enc

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] new]$ kpsewhich --progname=dvips ec.enc
   /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/base/EC.enc

because of a line in /opt/tex/teTeX/texmf/aliases :-/

Either way, it seems that this LIGKERN interpretation that
overrules the afm file is actually considered a feature. The
sane way out seems to be to ship our own encoding files in

   fonts/enc/texfont

or so.

Taco