Hi Sanjoy,

I know, that I am a bit late with my reaction. Still I would like you to
know, that there is nothing wrong with what you see in your examples.

Keep in mind, that 2UP and 2 DOWN are intended for booklet printing. Try
to use

% \setuppapersize[A5,landscape][A4,portrait]
% \setuparranging[2DOWN]
\setuppapersize[A5,portrait][A4,landscape]
\setuparranging[2UP]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided]
% \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]

\starttext

\dorecurse{3}{\input tufte\blank[1cm]}
\page
\dorecurse{3}{\input tufte\blank[1cm]}
\stoptext

I suggest  to specify in the setuppapersize command the page orientation
on the paper orientation. Then you won't need to rotate to page in the
setuparranging command.
Specify the singlesided and doublesided mode with setuppagenumbering. Of
course the doublesided alternative is not suitable for 2Down, because
you get left and right pages above each other.
In order to see that the procedure works just fine use more pages e.g.
with the dorecurse command.

Kind regards

Willi