Hi CVR,

> From: CV Radhakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [NTG-context] Line numbering
> Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:13:31 +0530
>
> Dear all,
>
> Forgive me if I sound naive.  I searched the archives, but could not
> find the solution for my following problem:
>
> I need to have line numbers for the text formatted in two columns.  The
> numbers for left column shall appear in the left side and that for right
> column shall appear in the right side of the page.  location=inmargin
> option to the \setuplinenumbering doesn't help much.  Please take a look
> at the following image:
>
>  http://www.river-valley.com/cvr/one.png
>
> which will give you an idea of my requirement.  Any help in this matter
> will be highly apprecaited and thanks in advance.

I do not know how to automate what you want. An ugly solution is to
specify the column breaks yourself, something like

\unprotect
\def\dosetuplinenumbering[#1]%
   {\getparameters[\??rn][\c!start=1,\c!step=1,#1]%
%    \global\linenumber\plusone
%    Do not reset linenumber. Why is this here?
   }
\protect

\starttext
\startcolumns