I have not used texfont in quite a while, but it seems something has
gone wrong as this was the output I got. Same result if prefixed with
texmfstart. This is debian linux and perl is

~$ perl --version

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi

~$ texfont
Global symbol "$uselmencodings" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line 202.
Global symbol "$lm" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line 873.
Global symbol "$lm" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line 964.
Global symbol "$theencoding" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line 965.
Global symbol "$lm" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line
1042.
Global symbol "$lm" requires explicit package name at
/home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl line
1169.
Execution of /home/johans/tex/texmf-local/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl
aborted due to compilation errors.

Regards, Johan

--
Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh