Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> \numexpr should work here
>>   ..[scale=\numexpr1000\LPscale\relax]%
>
> thank you, that seemed what I looked for, but:
> ! You can't use `\numexpr' in horizontal mode.

One of my favourite errors. Everytime it occurs I'm a bit puzzled, as
I've no general solution for this. I can only tell you what I do in such
a case.

- check every parameter of the expression

If the expression itself is ok

- check the correct grouping of prior commands (boxes, conditionals,..)
- try to calculate the expression before you pass it
  \newcount\Myscale
  \Myscale\numexpr1000\LPscale\relax
  ..[scale=\the\Myscale]

But in the end it is more try and error than a systematic action.
If there is a more general approach to solve this, I would be happy to
hear it.

Greetings, Peter