2006/10/11, Gerhard Kugler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 07:21:54PM +0100, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> I ran it here (ver: 2006.10.05 ).  With just \placetable[here], it
> doesn't split.  With \placetable[here,split], it splits it into two
> parts with Table 1.a on one page and Table 1.b on the other page.

With my version (of Debian sarge) this option (split) has no
influence. I get one page.

I guess I must install a new version of ConteXt (texexec). Till now I
install all my software with apt-get. Do I have to install texexec
directly now?

> The "Obertext zum Ganzen" is only on the first page, which is what the
> .tex code should do (but maybe you wanted it repeated at the top of
> each split page?).

It is not necessary to repeat this row on each page. But here it is
repeated automatically at the buttom margin (see appendix). My
dvi-file is created with the split option.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Kugler
Psychotherapeut

Hi Gerhard,

I looked into your log file and it shows

  ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2006.1.23  int: english  mes: english

It's an ancient ConTeXt version, you need to uprade your ConTeXt version
first to get a splittet table.

You should download the latest stable version from pragma.

If you want a repeated header on every page try to put
  \setuptables[split=repeat]
into your document.

With new versions from ConTeXt you do no longer the
   \starttables ... \stoptables
command.

Hans changed it to control table splitting completely with split-option
in \setuptables and makes to let the normal  \starttable-environment
split when neccessary.

You should look at the wiki how to upgrade your TeX-distribution.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Debian_installation

Wolfgang