Here is an example that I put on the wiki (because I kept forgetting
how to do it and wanted one place to find it again, but I never can
find it quickly there anyway, so now it's in the list archives at
least):

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=middlered]
\useURL [garden][http://contextgarden.net][][Context garden]
\starttext
The \from[garden] is useful.
\stoptext

I just tested it on the live context and it works fine with an active
link in the pdf file.  But it didn't work in the 2006.10.05 beta (the
space in the "Context garden" caused problems).

Maybe your example didn't have \setupinteraction[state=start] ?

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.