Norbert Preining wrote:
> Debian currently has:
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//
>
> What about this? I am not completely convinced about it since with
> updmap we generate input file for all the different programs.

TEXFONTMAPS =.;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//

this should be ok for todays situation

is better since it permits installation of fonts without the need for updmap
magic (and side effects); maybe at some point in the future there will be a
common map syntax (side product of pdftex project) which will make live easier