Frank � wrote:
>> Yes, it is. ConTeXt does not support only pdfetex, but all major
>> engines, like XeTeX and Aleph. I have formats in:
>>
>>    $TEXMF/web2c/aleph/
>>    $TEXMF/web2c/luatex/
>>    $TEXMF/web2c/pdfetex/
>>    $TEXMF/web2c/xetex/
>>

> Ah, okay, that's clear.  Has this already been this way one year ago
> when texlive2005 was released?  Do you know whether the TeXlive
> developers are aware of that?

sure, but as taco explained in a previous mail, it was considered to be
to complicated to adapt fmtutil to this which is why texexec tries to
take care of it

>> It is almost certainly better to ignore/block fmtutil and use texexec
>> instead. Properly setting up a ConTeXt update is not necesarily limited
>> to format generation only.
>>

> Hm.  What are the other things that need to be done?

texexec can instruct context in ini mode what patterns to preload, which
font/encoding to default to, which combination of interface and message
interface to use, etc

in the case of luatex (we're experimenting with that now) it may also
involve preparing lua startup scripts in the case of kpse overloading
and such

> - fix fmtutil and updmap so that they do the right thing for ConTeXt

i cannot answer that bacuse i don't use updmap but others on this list
may know
> - or implement a way to automate calling texexec.  This would include
>   using some configuration file, since not everybody who has aleph or
>   xetex installed also wants a context format for this engine.

indeed; for now you can safely assume that those using aleph of xetex
will make formats with "texexec --make --xetex | --aleph" if only
because they need to be able to tweak their system to the latest
features in those systems anyway (esp xetex involves  more than just the
xetex binary)
> To me, as a TeXlive and teTeX guy, it seems preferrable to choose option
> 1 and fix the existing distribution scripts.  However, I don't know yet
> what else is needed when ConTeXt is updated, therefore I might be wrong,
> and switching to texexec might actually be better.  But then this should
> be done consistently, and fmtutil should drop context handling
> completely (or just call texexec).

just calling texexec may be a safe option; handling context directly is ok, but
then it should be able to handle engine paths (but that has been fixed by now,
if i understood the other mails right)