Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> I define a floating block called Exhibit
>
> \definefloat[Exhibit][table]
>
> which just contains paragraphs of text. I'd like to be able to split it
> using the \splitfloat mechanism but that only seems to work if the
> content of the float is a table, not paragraphs.
>
> ----
> \definefloat[Exhibit][table]
> \starttext
> \input tufte\par
> \splitfloat[lines=auto]{\placeExhibit{Knuth}}
> {\dorecurse{4}{\input knuth \par}}
> \input tufte\page[yes]
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> This outputs "there is nothing to split" in the resultant PDF.
>
> Is there any way to achieve the equivalent of
>
> ----
> \definefloat[Exhibit][table]
> \starttext
> \input tufte\par
> \splitfloat[lines=auto]{\placeExhibit{Knuth}}
> {\bTABLE[frame=off]\dorecurse{4}{\bTR\bTD\input knuth \eTD\eTR}
> \eTABLE}
> \input tufte\page[yes]
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> without having to make every paragraph a table cell?

for simple texts:

\def\startsometext
  {\beginshapebox}

\def\stopsometext
  {\endshapebox
   \reshapebox{\ruledhbox{\strut\box\shapebox}}
   \setbox\tsplitcontent\vbox{\flushshapebox}
   \handletsplit}

\starttext

\input tufte

\splitfloat
  [lines=auto]
  {\placefigure{}}
  {\startsometext
   \dorecurse{4}{\input knuth \par}
   \stopsometext}

\input tufte

\showframe

\splitfloat
  [lines=auto]
  {\placefigure{}}
  {\starttabulate[|p|]
   \NC \dorecurse{4}{\input knuth }\NC\NR
   \stoptabulate}

\starttabulate[|p|]
\NC \input knuth \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

wikifyable (hm, could even be a nice article ...)