On Nov 8, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Many thanks, Thomas, for your reply.
>
> Maybe the issue here is that I want to learn how to do things in
> ConTeXt
> that I was able to do with LaTeX. But this may be the wrong
> approach to
> ConTeXt (because this might not be a good way to learn ConTeXt using
> LaTeX as the background example).

No, I think this approach is what many users do. As long as you don't
insist that you want exactly the same syntax etc, as in LaTeX :-)

> I want ConTeXt to produce mainly articles and textbooks (after
> learning
> that it will be easy to figure out presentations). I know some
> references, but I don't know which are the best ones.
>
> BTW, are “ConTeXt, an excursion” and “ConTeXt the manual” good
> introductions to start with ConTeXt or are they (too) outdated?

Most of the basic stuff is still correct, so they should be good
starters.

>> But to give you a few pointers that may or may not be useful:
>
> Thanks, they are useful.
>
>> - The first stop would be the wiki http://wiki.contextgarden.net .
>> There is a section called "Sample documents" that may be a good
>> starting point.
>>
>> - You could have a look at recent issues of the PracTeX journal;
>> there is some stuff about ConTeXt in there, and it should be good for
>> beginners.
>>
>> - Of course, the Pragma website, but I guess you know that already.
>>
>> - Finally, for ancient Greek, there is the ancientgreek module
>> http://
>> modules.contextgarden.net/t-greek which I find superior to all Greek
>> typesetting in LaTeX (because I wrote the module).
>
> With this particular topic, I'm not sure whether I fully understand
> what
> you mean. For me, input and output must be Unicode (it is the best way
> to avoid problems) and this can be done with XeTeX. I don't know how
> good the integration with ConTeXt is, but for me and before LuaTeX is
> released in an stable version, XeTeX is the only way of dealing with
> fonts in TeX. Is there something in your Greek module that cannot be
> done with XeTeX?

I must admit that I've been too lazy to really test XeTeX, so I may
be wrong here. You can use Unicode input with the module; the only
difference would be that you have to wrap all Greek passages in
\localgreek{} commands or \start ... \stop pairs. I guess XeTeX
provides proper hyphenation for Greek, but
- the module has support for more fonts than XeTeX;
- does XeTeX allow relative scaling of fonts?
Anyway, only Hans and Taco know to what extent I will have to rewrite
everything when luatex and support for OpenType fonts are there.

>> Don't hesitate to ask here when you have specific questions, but
>> maybe that can get you started. I am a humanities guy and do all my
>> work in ConTeXt...
>
> Actually, I knew that you were the person I wanted to ask about this.
> Some time ago, I read somewhere (on the web) that you switched to
> ConTeXt, after having to edit a book with Word. And then I discovered
> that you teach Classics at Bonn.
>
> Then, if the question is not too personal (it hope not, but sorry
> if it
> is): how did you learn ConTeXt? Only tinkering with already existing
> modules? Did you read any manuals? (Again, if this is not too
> personal,
> I assume that our interests in ConTeXt are similar, although I'm not a
> classicist and I don't belong to the academia)
>
> Thanks for your help,
>

> Pablo

Yes, I started with already existing modules, and it took me a while
(and lots of help here on the list) to write my own code. I never
actually read any manual cover to cover, but the big manual is almost
always open on my computer for reference. I just finished typesetting
a book with ConTeXt, complete with dozens of cross-references,
indexes, bibliography. Nothing very complicated, but it's wonderful
to see that things work. There are still two or three problems, but
they are fairly harmless. I love donig my own presentation styles
with ConTeXt and metafun. The more I use ConTeXt, the more amazed I
am...

Hope this can inspire you a bit

Thomas