On Friday 22 December 2006 08:18, Norbert Preining wrote:
>  The main difference between ConTeXt and LaTeX lies in the fact that LaTeX
>  was created with the idea of separating content and presentation to such
>  an extent that the typical author would write their content and then use
>  a style file created by someone else to provide the visual presentation.
>  .
>  ConTeXt, on the other hand, retained the idea of separating content and
>  presentation, but was created with the idea of being used for books, where
>  each book tends to have a different layout, and so the expected "end user"
> is the person doing all the layout. Thus, it's designed to provide a vast
> amount of flexibility for layout in a way that can be fairly easily defined
> without needing to write a package

Since one can move one's layout into a package in a few seconds and then
include that package into a document, I think this somewhat misses the mark.

Latexstualists may disagree but I think the essence is that Context gives
more control and makes it easier to create new layouts.  Whether or not
those new layouts are in a document file or a separate package is not
relevant.  Nor is the original purpose for which Context was created
relevant, as both Latex and Context are used for a lot more than math
papers and books.

--Mike Bird