Hi Aditya,

thank you for your detailed answer.

The exercises are so much providing the structure of the book, that it
may be that I will choose the format (size) of the page considering
the solutions of your questions:

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 11:48:06AM -0500, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> 1. The current page is half full, and your exercise is half-page plus
> two lines. Should TeX leave the rest of the page empty and start a new
> page, or fill the current page with exercise and put two lines in the

rather the second option. But it would be suboptimal.

> 2. The same case as above, but the text is one and a half page long.

In this case it would be clear, that the exercise begins instantly.

> 3. Or a more drastic case, when the current page has only two lines
> and the text block is exactly one page long. Should the text split or
> not.

No.

> 4. Can you allow the text block to float, or should it occur where you
> place it, even if it means a lot of empty space on the page.

The text block must not float because it is part of the ongoing text.
In some chapters there is more text in the exercises than outside.

> Basically, the difficulty is specifying how much blankspace on a page
> are you willing to accept, and under what conditions.

Perhaps I should fill blank parts of pages with elements of pure
decoration. The English (American) original is shorter than the German
text. Sometimes I have the impression that the authors have made
content and appearance simultaneously. This is not reproducible in a
translation.

--
Gerhard Kugler
Psychotherapeut