\starttext
\placefigure[inner]{A figure}{\framed[width=5cm,height=5cm]{Image}} {\em This will mess up the rest.} \input tufte
\starttext

Does this complete the subminimal example?
You can download and inspect the output (72KB): www.ogbasel.ch/ jhtest.pdf If the first sentence is not emphasised (or bold, slanted ..), it works as expected.

Thanks again, Jörg