On Sunday 04 February 2007 06:51, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> >> Is it possible to sort by the bibliography list by authors? The manual
> >> says that sorttype=cite|bib?
> >
> > No, because there is no reasonable way to do alphabetic sorting
> > in TeX.
>
> Perhaps I will reveal my own fundamental confusion about bibtex but:
>
> What about letting bibtex (the C program) do the miserable work of
> alphabetic sorting?  Then ConTeXt could typeset (the necessary subset
> of) bib items in that order.
>
> -Sanjoy
>
> `Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

The examples of makeindex (romance language indexing) and Xindy (non-
romance indexing) are pertinent here. All TeX has to do is provide the
unsorted items at the front end. The external program sorts, summarizes
provides alphabetic headers etc.  Then TeX reads it in and does the final
typesetting. A bibtexish program could operate the same way.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting