On Feb 22, 2007, at 6:17 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> I would like to test this texlive edition: how can i do (I'm using
> linux ubuntu) ?

Luigi,

you can download the compressed iso image at a CTAN mirror under /
systems/texlive/Images. It's 935 MB, so if you're on a slow
connection, you'll be back next week...

Then, refer to the installation instructions on the wiki: http://
wiki.contextgarden.net/TeX-live

The most important thing is that after installation (befor you try to
build the formats etc.), you should make sure that the new binaries
come in your $PATH before anything else, so something like
export PATH="/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux $PATH"
should get you going.

Once that is done, everything else is almost automatic: the
kpathsearch library will find the other parts of the TeX installation
relative to the place where its own binaries are, so when you invoke
fmtutil-sys --all, all the format files will be placed in the new
trees. If you decide you want to revert to your old system, simply
remove /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux from your path again. I
hope I'm not forgetting anything important...

Thomas