On Mar 29, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:36:10 +0200
> Luuk Beurskens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Last weekend I had my first hands-on experience with Context. I
>> was told
>> that a listing of the type of problems that I encountered would
>> have a
>> certain value to the Context project. That's why below you'll find an
>> overview of my beginner-questions, to some of which I already
>> found answers.
>>
>> My aim is not to have all questions answered via the list, but
>> rather to
>> document them for later use in some kind of manual. For I know that
>> finding the answers is mostly a matter of searching the
>> documentation.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Luuk Beurskens
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> PS: I have been using Latex for some years. The questions below
>> came up
>> using a stand-alone Context environment in MS Windows.
>>

>> Q: Starting with Context, the use of which language is to be
>> preferred
>> for the commands?
>> A: The English version is most commonly applied, even in the
>> Netherlands
>>
>> Q: If one starts in a Context document in one language, can it be
>> easily
>> converted to another language (form English to Dutch or German, for
>> example)?
>> A: This is possible, but no ready-available tool exists.
>>
>> Q: Why does background=color not work inside \bTABLE ... \eTABLE?
>> A: Put \setupcolors[state=start] in the beginning of the document
>>
>> Q: How to apply a background colour for the margin space?
>> A: This is possible but not easy to explain. See info by Patrick
>> Gundlach and the section Crossing Borders in the Metafun manual in
>> chapter Pagebackgrounds by Hans Hagen.
>>

> Hi Luuk,
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=screen]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
>> Q: Where to put the commands that apply to the whole document? Is
>> there
>> a 'preferred sectioning' of a Context source?
>
> You should use \environment's:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

Often I use a file with the name layout.tex to put there all kind of
general issues to the document.

\startenvironment layout
        \setupbodyfont[ss,12pt]
        \setuplayout[   ...]

\stopenvironment

Load this file in the doucment with

\environment layout

>> Q: What is the equivalent of the Latex \begin{thebibliography}
>> environment?
>>
>> Q: The command \setupwhitespace[big] doesn't have an impact on the
>> paragraph spacing. What am I doing wrong?
>
> \setupwhitespace[big]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: Using \startcombination[*] it is possible to display several
>> pictures
>> into one figure. How could one achieve that several figures are
>> treated
>> as one picture, i.e. that they are all forced to be placed on one
>> page?
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupframed[width=5cm,height=5cm]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \placefigure
>   [page]
>   []
>   {Four blocks}
>   {\startcombination[2*2]
>      {\framed{}}{Block 1}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 2}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 3}
>      {\framed{}}{Block 4}
>    \stopcombination}
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: One cell in a table (\bTABLE ... e\TABLE) should contain a unit
>> (EJ
>> for example) in square brackets: [EJ]. The result is that the
>> respective
>> row is not displayed at all. What is wrong? Could I possibly use the
>> Latex equivalent \symbol{code}?
>
> \starttext
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD
>       {[EJ]}
>     \eTD
>   \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD[left={[},right={]}]
>       EJ
>     \eTD
>   \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: How can I change the fontsize inside a table?
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \setupTABLE[style=small]
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD Text \eTD
>   \eTD
> \eTABLE
>
> \setuptables[bodyfont=small]
>
> \starttable[|l|]
> \NC Text \NC\AR
> \stoptable
>
> \setuptabulate[bodyfont=small]
>
> \starttabulate[|l|]
> \NC Text \NC\NR
> \stoptabulate
>
> \stoptext

you can also say \switchtobodyfont[rm,6pt] where ever you need to
change the fontsize and or switch from rm to ss.

>> Q: How can I change the fontsize of an \inmargin?
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \setupinmargin[style=small]
>
> \inmargin{Text}
>
> \stoptext
>

>> Q: How can I make a line in the header or footer of a document?
>
> \setupheadertexts[left][right]
> \setupfootertexts[left][right]
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \stoptext
In case that you want to place a rule beneath the running header:

\setupbackgrounds[...][...,...,...][...,...=...,...]
        [...] top header text footer bottom page paper leftpage rightpage
        [...,...,...] leftedge leftmargin text rightmargin rightedge
                        state = start stop repeat
        [...,...=...,...] see \setupframed

I.e. you can say things like \setupbackgrounds[header][text]
[bottomframe=on]

>> Q: How can I define a fancy page numbering (i.e. large and coloured
>> number)?
>>
>> Q: How to make sure that numbers in a colomn align correctly, for
>> example:
>> 9400
>>    60
>>   100
>>     3
>> Inserting ~ works fine when using a proportional font. An extra
>> difficulty occurs when the figures should be centered below the
>> heading
>> of the column.
>>
>> Q: a question related to the use of SciTE: changing the file
>> scite.properties for a proportional fontsize doesn't work,
>> although it
>> is very well explained in the SciTE helpfile. What's the trick?
>
> I think this is a bug in the version shipped with the ConTeXt
> distribution for Windows, because in the download version from the
> Scite homepage everything works as expected.
>
> Wolfgang
>

>> Q: Installing the minimal context distribution on a Windows 98
>> machine
>> gives problems when copying on harddisk E:. Running the batch-file
>> cscite.bat results in the following message: "cscite root, e.g.
>> cscite
>> d:\copyofcdrom" (more info: C: exists but D: is a non-writable linux
>> partition). On a different computer the same directory structure
>> on C:
>> didn't give this message and worked well.

Willi Egger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]