> I still have to see how to deal with large symbols (bigops and
> integrals). Maybe with "\blank[medium]" in between (and some "\smash"),
> so that every second line will be on the grid again.
Maybe a strategy is to use a vbox with ht+dp multiple of a grid space
...but the first line of every page has another height....
I have posted something with bTABLE last days under this topic

> That is currently my main conceptual problem with ConTeXt: sometimes
> it's too high-level and too clever, and it's hard to figure out how to
> do the trickery and the tweaking ...
There are many pdf about context;
I try to have a 'programmer view' of these things.
Among others, see and criticize
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/modules.pdf#modules.pdf

luigi