Hi Stephan,

MP handles text and graphics in different ways. First read

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mmakempy.pdf

(this should answer some of your questions). You find the needed tools at

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
http://www.pstoedit.net/        http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

I have tested this some years ago and it worked without problems. A fast
run with the old code ended in the nirvana for pstoedit (3.44) :(

I don't know if this is a general problem, so just give it a try. If you
get it to work, you can try the nice 'graphictext' in combination with
'withshade'.

HTH,  Peter