I just updated the Ubuntu edgy backports of the texlive packages (for
i386) and have been running them on my feisty laptop for half an hour
and they pass my usual 'compile textbook in ConTeXt' test.  The
'context' package provides version 2007.04.17 12:51.

They are recompilations of the latest Ubuntu gutsy (7.10) packages,
which are Norbert's latest Debian packages with maybe a couple additions
(on the other hand, Ubuntu and Debian look like they are in sync right
now).  Let me know if you have problems.

To use the packages, add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list :

  deb     http://web.mit.edu/download/sanjoy/texlive-backports/ edgy/
  deb-src http://web.mit.edu/download/sanjoy/texlive-backports/ edgy/

To add my key (to use the security features of apt-get):

  wget http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sanjoy/sanjoy.asc
  sudo apt-key add sanjoy.asc

Then

 apt-get update
 apt-get install cm-super texlive-fonts-recommended \
                 context context-nonfree context-doc-nonfree

('cm-super comes from the universe repositories)

If you've been using them before, you don't need the install line with
explicit pkgs.  Instead just update with

 apt-get upgrade

-Sanjoy

gpg DSA: 0x3FCDAAA3
gpg  fp: 9722 56B0 F787 12A9 164E  34B7 09C9 E543 3FCD AAA3