Quoting nicola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
> I have tried the following example (metafun-p.pdf, p. 112-3):
>
> \startMPgraphic
> draw unitsquare xscaled 5cm yscaled 1cm withpen pencircle scaled 2mm
> withcolor .625red;
> \stopMPgraphic
>
> \hbox \bgroup
> \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=5cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic \quad
> \loadcurrentMPgraphic{width=8cm,height=1cm}\placeMPgraphic \egroup
>
> but nothing is drawn unless I remove the setups in curly braces (in
> which case a rectangle 5cm x 1cm is drawn). Is there a different way to
> pass options to the figure inclusion macro?

Interesting....what is happening is something equivalent to

\externalfigure
         [\MPgraphicfile.\the\currentMPgraphic]
         [type=mps,object=no,
          symbol=yes,reset=yes,
          maxwidth=,maxheight=,
          frame=off,background=,
          width=8cm,
          height=1cm]%

and there is no figure. If I remove object=no, the figure is there. I
do not understand why object=no should affect the placement of the
figure.

Aditya