Intensive googling brought me these solutions for paragraph enumeration:

1)

% Enumerate paragraphs
\newcounter\ParNum
\def\GuyPar{\doglobal\increment\ParNum\inleft{\ParNum}}

\setupbodyfont[ber,10pt]
\setupwhitespace[big]

\starttext

\section[sec-language]{How this Book Teaches You The Language}

\GuyPar Java is an object oriented programming language.  When you use
an object oriented programming language, your program consists of
class definitions.

\stoptext

2)

\starttext
\showframe
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupparagraphnumbering[state=start,style=italic,distance=0pt]
%\startlinenumbering
\section{bloo}
\input knuth
\section{blah}
\input knuth \par
\setupparagraphnumbering[state=stop]
\input tufte \par \blank \dorecurse{2}{\input tufte \par} \blank \par
\setupparagraphnumbering[state=start,color=red]
\dorecurse{4}{\input tufte \par}
\stoptext

Does anybody now have an idea how to re-use these paragraph numbers (in one of
these examples) for linking in a TOC and/or a seperate index register (as
described below)?

Steffen