Hi,

it seems that the description of what I am looking for is unfortunately still
not understandable.
Thus I searched the internet for some on-line material to link to.

Here is a link to a book typeset this way (but in LaTeX), showing a normal
Index/Pagenumber register and als a Marginal number (Runner) register:

http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/univerlag/2006/tfinke.pdf

And I was looking at amazon's "search inside" for printed examples of what is
meant,
(unfortunately the most difficult thing (the TableOfContent with runner *and*
pagenumber) I didn't find):

http://www.amazon.de/gp/reader/344806159X/ref=sib_rdr_ex/028-7198302-3884522?ie=UTF8&p=S011&j=0#reader-page
[this is an example for the usage of runner (number in outer margin)]

http://www.amazon.de/gp/reader/344806159X/ref=sib_rdr_idx/028-7198302-3884522?ie=UTF8&p=S0FD&j=0#reader-page
http://www.amazon.de/gp/reader/3899490193/ref=sib_rdr_ex/028-7198302-3884522?ie=UTF8&p=S00P&j=0#reader-page
[these are examples for a register linking to those runner numbers]

Steffen